Some of Berthoud’s finest homes built during 1902 building boom

By Mark French

The Surveyor

Photo courtesy of the Berthoud Historical Society – W.F. Edmondson’s house at 647 Sixth St. was built by local contractor Warren Mills in 1902. Photo circa 1949.

There was a building boom in Berthoud in 1902. That year the town of Berthoud was home to 300 residents and occupied a footprint that was roughly bordered by Lake Avenue on the north, Welch Avenue on the south, First Street on the east and Sixth Street on the west. That year new houses were beginning to be built south of Welch Avenue in the Bimson Addition, the third such subdivision to be added to Peter Turner’s original Berthoud town plat. It would only be a few years before more additions would expand the town to the extent it would be populated by 758 residents in 1910.

In November 1902 the Berthoud Bulletin reported, “Several new buildings that would be a credit to any small town have been built or are under construction.” The first dwelling the newspaper identified was the residence of John Lutener at 426 Bimson Ave. Lutener, a blacksmith-turned-carpenter who left his forge after his eyesight began to fail, built the home, which was the first to go up south of Welch Avenue.

In 1902 Lutener also built what the local newspaper described as a “neat and comfortable” home for Andy Berglin at 806 Fifth Street. Berglin was a Swedish immigrant and a licensed steam engineer.

One year earlier, in 1901, Berglin placed an advertisement in the Berthoud Bulletin that read:  “A. Berglin. Careful and prompt attention given to repair of all farm machinery. For sale: pipe, pipe fittings, engine fittings, machinist supplies, and I will order supplies for any kind of machinery. Machine oils for sale. Special work in engines, boilers and pumps. All charges reasonable. Located at A.G. Bimson’s blacksmith shop.”

In November 1902 the Berthoud Bulletin also reported, “Mr. Bimson’s large two-story house is ready for plastering. This is one of the best new houses in Berthoud.” Alfred G. Bimson’s house, located at 405 Bimson Ave., was constructed by a Longmont contractor named Pratt. Since Bimson had sold his house on Fifth Street before the new house was built, he lived with his family in a barn located on the construction site until they could move in. Years later Bimson’s barn was relocated to the Little Thompson Valley Pioneer Museum where it serves as an exhibit.

Another new house built in Berthoud in 1902 was W.F. Edmondson’s home at 647 Sixth Street. In November of that year the local tabloid noted, “Mr. Edmondson is building a two-story, eight-room house just north of the school house. It will be modern and up-to-date in every particular, including furnace and bathroom.”

In 1902 Berthoud’s school house was located in the center of present-day Fickel Park.

The Bulletin article added that Edmondson’s house “was erected by W.L. Mills and the plumbing and heating plants installed by Andy Berglin. Every detail of construction is modern.”

A fourth fine home to be built in Berthoud in 1902 was the residence of Dr. Joseph B. Clymer at 400 Mountain Ave., (present site of Mi Cocina restaurant). In the article the local newspaper noted, “Dr. Clymer’s new house is well underway and will be the largest house in Berthoud. The house is two full stories and will contain nine large rooms besides bathroom and basement. It will have modern conveniences such as furnaces, electric lights, and sewer connection.”

 

 

Tags: , ,